Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Fire Eternal, by Chris D'Lacey

I'm not really sure what to say about this book. I looked forward to reading it very much, because I liked the 3 books written before it, The Fire Within, Icefire, and Firestar. Though they're rather big books, I read them all very quickly last year, which is a pretty good sign that I rabidly enjoyed them. It had squirrels, clay dragons that came to life, a guy in college who becomes a writer, polar bears, all these spiritual, magical adventures, and an enviromental message.

I liked it a lot. But when I read this, I somehow got turned off from it. All the magic stuff kind of goes over my head, especially near the end. And the main character, David... I have no idea how he came back to life when he was supposed to have died in the previous book. It didn't give a good enough explanation.

I'm not sure where the author went wrong, but I think he should have left the series as a trilogy. Worse, the ending he wrote smacked of the possibility of another sequel. There were too many things that I didn't get, too many unresolved plot elements... Ah yes. I just checked out Wikipedia, and it seems there is a sequel on the way. Darkfire. Appropriate, I guess. It'll be released this summer. I'm not sure whether or not I'll pick it up, when I have the opportunity to. I am quite curious whether D'Lacey redeems himself with the next book, but I pretty much doubt it'll be worth it.

No comments: