Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Erec Rex: The Monsters of Otherness, by Kaza Kingsley

I have finished the 2nd Erec Rex book. I should remember to tell Kaza later. It had 345 pages and, if you count the prologue and the epilogue, 27 chapters. Not much bigger than the first book, I believe. It was published very recently, in 2008. That probably means it'll take a while for the next book to come out. It took me 2 days to read. The 16th and the 17th. I finished it last night. Okay, here's what I have to say about it.

I think I liked this book just as much as the 1st one. You told me I wouldn't catch any H.P. similarities, Kaza? Well, I think I did, but maybe only because I was looking for them. Like, all the angry mobs saying that both Erec and King Piter aren't fit to be their rulers and that the Stain brothers and Baskania are? That reminds me of the Order of the Pheonix, when no one believes Harry or Dumbledore when they say Voldemort has returned. Also, Balthazar Ugry still reminds me of Severus Snape. I really can't tell if he's a good guy or a bad guy. He does good things, but he hates Erec. I think in the epilogue it appears that he likes Erec's mom or something?...

Anyway, my favorite part of this story was the new character Tina. Of course, because my name is Bettina. If I hadn't known that you'd published this book long ago, I would've thought you'd added me in on purpose. But I only "met" you about a month ago, so it's just a normal coincidence. So moving on, Tina is cool. After the first note, I looked forward to Erec reading her letters because she sounded so sweet. See, Tina has a crush on Erec and she writes him fan-mail, because where she comes from he's a hero. Erec has no idea who this girl is, but he humors her by writing back replies. Her crush elevates. She even writes a good song for him. Then near the end, Erec finally meets Tina and she is not how he expected her to look, especially since she never supplied a picture of herself. She is, in fact, the creature standing behind them on the cover. I was pretty taken aback when I realized that with Erec. All along, I thought that monster was another character that was described as a green, reptile-like thing, Rocso Kroc. Hey, it might have been.

I thought that part of the book was the most interesting. I think I used to have a crush named Eric, but I never would've been brave enough to write him letters, even if I knew his mailing address. It also reminds me of certain correspondences I share with my Blogger friends, except I know from their pictures that they are certainly no Hydras. And everyone knows that I'm not one either! You can see my picture quite plainly! Um, but not here, that is. On my regular blog you can. For some reason my profile doesn't show anymore.

1 comment:

J.N. Future Author said...

maybe I should read this ^.~