Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Small Business Millionaire, by Steve Chandler and Sam Beckford

Since this book was such a short one, I'll keep my review of it short. I thought the story was pretty good, but the way it was written left something to be desired. It's about a man and his grown-up daughter who run a restaurant together, but the restaurant doesn't bring many customers in, even though the man's food is top notch. They spend lots of money on advertising (and go into deep debt this way), but nothing seems to work until a successful young man decides to help them. He seems to know everything about how one should handle a small business, and gives both the owner and the daughter huge life lessons. By the book's end, (need I say more?) the restaurant is hugely successful and everyone lives happily ever after.

I don't think it had enough action in it for me, or enough mystery. Yeah, it's supposed to teach readers what attitudes they should have towards business, but it was told in a fictional manner so I thought it might be a bit more riveting. I didn't like the dialogue very much at times. Mostly, I think if you asked me my end reaction towards this book, it would be, "Meh."

No comments: